As a women traveling solo you might want to bring your own pillow and blanket. There is a method to have a warm and clean pillow and blanket of your own, without the air company charging you for extra luggage. Read this if you are interested.
Many airlines are now charging for a travel pillow and blanket that is often too little and too flimsy. Learn how easy it is to make a travel pillow and blanket and you’ll soon discover this travel pillow and blanket is much larger, much warmer and MUCH CLEANER than what you’ll find on any airline.
Things You’ll Need
- 1 Bath towel (42″ long x 24″ wide – approx)
- 1 3/4 yd Fleece
- 6″ Elastic
- 1 Large button
- 8 oz Polyfiber
- 1/3 yd Muslin
- Straight edge ruler
- Sewing machine
- Travel pillow and blanket casing
- Make a case for the travel pillow and blanket by first laying the towel flat and fold in half (NOT lengthwise) with the right sides together. Pin the right and left sides
- Cut the elastic piece. Make a small loop out of the elastic and baste the ends together. Next, on either the right or left side seam, directly in the CENTER of the seam, pin in the ends of the looped elastic (with the loop facing inwards) before sewing in a 1/2″ seam. Leave front finished edge open. Turn piece right side out and gently poke out the corners of the travel pillow and blanket caseWith a straight edge ruler and chalk, mark a line down the center to the front finished edge. Using a straight stitch on the sewing machine, sew down the chalk line
- Note there are now two openings in the casing for the travel pillow and blanket. One opening is for the travel pillow form and the other will be for the blanket
- Make the actual travel pillow form that will be inserted into the towel casing by measuring the section of the towel where the travel pillow will be inserted. Cut out two pieces of muslin that are exactly 2″ smaller. Sew all around edges of muslin in a 1/2″ seam, leaving a hand-size opening for stuffing the travel pillow with polyfiber. Lightly stuff and slip stitch opening closed.
- Travel pillow and blanket roll
- Sew the large button on the opposite side of the loop to finish the casing for the travel pillow portion of the travel pillow and blanket.
- Finish the fleece blanket by simply cutting off the machine selvage of the yardage purchased.
- Travel pillow and blanket – ready to go
- Fold the travel blanket 3 times lengthwise, then in half. Roll tightly and insert into the casing. Put the travel pillow in the other opening. Loop the button with the elastic to secure.
- Slide the completed travel pillow and blanket casing over the handles of a carry-on bag. Leave the travel pillow in the soft towel casing and remove the travel blanket when needed.
Source: CLICK HERE